Can HSV1 be Dormant and can it still be contacted?

Q: HI Doctors, I did some reading of previous questions about the HSV1 virus. I know it's not considered the STD version of the virus and can be contracted as a child, but telling anyone your dating that you have it throws them into a fearful state.

I am 39 and just found out the other day that I've had it almost all my life, HSV1 >5.00. I never knew this info before and so relaying it to my girlfriend has her scared to be intimate with me even kiss me.

I have never had an outbreak or cold sore. The most I ever had or have are a canker sore once every 4 years in my mouth and I am sure it is a canker and I've had them since a child and I know the difference between canker (benign) and Cold sores (HSV-1). So being as I have never shown symptoms and reading some of your previously answered questions, I see it still may be possible for me to give her HSV-1.

Just to confirm, is it true that Canker Sores are benign and can I still infect her even if I never had a cold sore? Also is there any meds that I could take to make sure she never gets it?

As far as I know, my X's have told me they don't have it but now that I know I do I'd rather be cautious and well, I'm not going to use a dental dam. So if there is any over the counter or cheap prescription alternatives please advise so I can contact my physician for a prescription. Like I said, I have never had an outbreak, cold sore and as far as my X's confirmation, never passed it on to them. Can it just be dormant in some people? Also note I have Hypothyroidism and extremely low BPS. Just a small person that's all. Any clarification and help would be great. Thanks for your time.

Symptoms:  None.