Can Hypertension be caused by migraines?

Q: I was wondering, if abnormal blood pressure can be caused by migranes. My mom has 155/99 for the last 3-4 days, however before everything was normal. She went to several doctors and they all said that hypertension is caused by migraines. However, as I know quite a lot about medicine, this seems a bit weird and unreal, and i thought its actually the other way around, that migraines are caused by hypertension. Thank you for any answer, much appreciated!

A:   Mild to moderate hypertension is often asymptomatic, and if severe, hypertension may cause headaches, although not necessarily a classical migraine. The link between hypertension and migraine has been studied, but has been found to be inconclusive, as some studies suggest a positive link, some a negative link and some suggest no link at all. The most recent evidence suggests that there might be a different effect of diastolic and systolic blood pressure, with the diastolic pressure (bottom number in BP) having a positive and the systolic pressure (top number in BP) a negative relationship with migraine. Despite the uncertainty still present in this field, the control of your mother’s hypertension is an important factor for the success of migraine treatment and to lower her overall cerebrovascular risk.