Can I apply for disability with Post Herpetic Neuralgia?

Patient

Q: I am a 28 year old male. I first came down with Shingles about two years ago, After the rash I continued to have a painful needle picking sensation in the area. One year ago I had a 2nd outbreak in the same are. (Right Hymosphere of my face, from the nose up to the hairline.) After the 2nd hash it has become even worst. I experience pain: Stabbing expectational in the eye area. PinPricks, Burning, Itching. The skin itself is decensitived. It has effect the muscles around my eye some, my eye sight some, I have nearly constant Ringing in my right ear. Heachaches Nassau, Problems concentrating, and eating. And have now fallen into a sleeping scheduled of staying up 24 to 30 hours at a time until I am simply physically exhausted then sleeping for 14 to 16 hours. But I have been told now more then once that PHN can not be groups for disability. I also know that there is basically no effective treatment for this other then the. (Sit and hope it goes away) Can I apply for disability with this or not. Because if not I don't know what I am going to do. I will practically be homeless by the end of the month at this point. What treatments do you reccomend?

Doctor

A:   Shingles is not on the disability list, but Social Security does sometimes approve a person for disability benefits if you provide sufficient information that your condition is as extensive and disabling as other condition that is on the list. For PHN, the affected area should be kept clean. Cool compresses and anti-itching lotions, such as calamine lotion may provide relief. Topical analgesics or anesthetic applications and patches, oral medications like amitryptiline, gabapentin may also be useful for a fast recovery.