Ask The Doctor » Questions & Answers » Can I be ovulating after I had ectopic pregnancy

Can I be ovulating after I had ectopic pregnancy

Patient: I just had an ectopic pregnancy which they did laproscpoy to remove and did not have to remove my tube on February 18. I still have no gotten my period but my partner and I have been having sex and I have no been using protection (ie condoms or birth control ) Is it possible for me to ovulate without getting my period yet after the ectopic pregancy?

Symptoms: Ectopic Pregnancy

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query to for an opinion.If you have undergone laparoscopic salpingostomy fo r ectopic pregnancy on Feb 18th, then considering the fact that hcg levels take at least a week to return back to normal and fresh ovulation can occur in next 2-3 weeks, the best way to confirm ovulation would be to do a LH SURGE test with an ovulation kit. There is all likelihood that ovulation may have started again during this month. As you have been sexually active without any birth control( which you should have undertaken ideally for at least 3 months to allow return of hormones to pre-pregnancy levels and stabilize and recovery from surgery), there are chances that pregnancy may occur. Also another concern is that the chances of ectopic is increased by 10 percent in the next pregnancy.So if you don’t get your menses in a week then you must get a serum beta hcg test done and an ultrasound pelvis, preferably a transvaginal ultrasound to look for or rule out pregnancy again. If the beta hcg test turns out to be negative, then please follow barrier contraception till menses are resumed and then for next 2-3 months you can be on oral contraceptive pills.I hope i have addressed your concerns in detail,Wishing you good health,Regards

Patient: I will keep watching for my period and if I do not get it soon than I will take a pregnancy test. Hoping for the best

Patient: If I am pregnant again this quickly after, is there a chance I could go on to have a normal pregnancy

Doctor: As i said the chances of ectopic increases by 10% in the next and then 30 % after that. So you have 90% chance of normalcy still.