Can I be pregnant??

Patient

Q: I was due on my period on the 4th of February and i didn't end up coming on until the 11th. But I had unprotected sex on on the night of the 7th, through the night, then again on the morning of the 8th. But coming on my period made me think that I'm not pregnant. But my period is bleeding as normal but I have no cramps what so ever. Which is very unusual when I always have very bad cramps with my period.

Doctor

Thanks for the query,

The onset of menses on 11th negates any possibility of pregnancy even though you had sex on 7th/ 8th Feb. The cramps are usually due to uterine contractions and is more hormone related - progesterone and prostaglandins. Prostaglandins are also released during sex and orgasm and cause uterine contractions, also causing relaxation of the uterosacral ligaments and relaxation of the vaginal muscles. So it is seen that if sexual activity is initiated closer to the start of menses, then the dysmenorrhoea experienced is less and is always helpful.

So, lack of pain doesn't indicate pregnancy but in a way is the result of sex you had close to your due dates.

I hope I have answered your query in detail,
wishing you safe sexual practices,
regards