Can I be pregnant and when will periods be normal?

Patient

Q: I'm 21 and not on any meds. i was on the depo shot and missed my shot 5 months ago and since I've been off it I haven't had a period in these 5 months. I recently had unprotected sex and and have been having pregnancy symptoms like being tired, moody, and threw up once in the morning. I also had like a 1 day period. I took a pregnancy test and it came up negative. Why would I be having these symptoms if I had a negative test? And will my periods be normal again?

Symptoms:  Sleepy moody
Doctor

Thanks for contacting askthedoctor.com

If you are off depot now for 5 months and have not resumed your menses which is ideally resumed between 4-5 months , you should have visited your physician and got yourself and ultrasound pelvis done to look for the endometrial thickness which would have indicated to your physician about your present state of endometrium and if required you could have been offered a withdrawal bleed.

As your pregnancy test is negative, it indicates that you are safe. The ideal advise for you would be to wait for your menses to return . The symptoms you are experiencing are probably of premenstrual syndrome which start few days before the menses and subside with the onset of bleeding. So considering that , it may be likely that your menses should start in few days and if they don't then you may consult your physician for an iopinion.
I hope i have answered your query in detail.
wishing you good health ,
regards