October 20, 2018

Can I be pregnant? Taking antibiotics with OCPs.

Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Can I be pregnant? Taking antibiotics with OCPs.

Patient: I’m 23 and am on low hormone birh control pills. I have always heard that if you miss a pill you should use a backup method for two weks, but on the info packet with the pills it says you do not have to unless you miss two pills in a row. I missed a pill about a month ago. I took two the next day and did not use back up method. Also missed one a couple days later, but took two the next day also. I started my period about 5 days early and it lasted through the usual time, so about ten days total but it was really light, which is unusual for me. I have been on two antibiotics for staph infection for the past week. I had been feeling a little sick to my stomach before hand and read on the bottle that you should not take while pregnant or if you suspect pregnancy. So me being paranoid took a home pregnancy test that night before I took the first dose. It came back negative, but was a cheap brand and I read taking at night could give a false negative. I assumed I was just paranoid and not pregnant. Now I’m having unusual symptoms. At first, actually the day before getting the antibiotics, The taste of my usual toothpaste almost gagged me. A few days later I felt sick after eating. I feel extremely bloated, have really bad heartburn alot, feel sick to my stomach usually when I get up if I have not eaten, extremely tired (slept 14 hours today), kinda dizzy sometimes, constantly have to pee. Convinced I was pregnant, I took another test tonight which came back negative. Still about 5 days before my expected period. Can I be pregnant or are these symptoms associated with antiobiotics?

Doctor: The symptoms that you have described could be most probably related to the antibiotics that you have been taking. I do u nderstand that you are concerned about being pregnant and it is but natural. Usually a urine pregnancy test confirms pregnancy within two weeks of conception. Since your tests have come back negative, there is a less likely chance that you may be pregnant, however you may want to repeat the test if you miss your periods. Hope the information helps, take care.

Was this answer helpful?
Yes
No