Can I be pregnant with breakthrough bleeding?

Q: Missed a pill the day of having sex and the following day, restarted the third day and am experiencing breakthrough bleeding, can i still be pregnant after this bleeding?

Symptoms:  Nausea when smelling meat

A:   Birth control pills protect from unwanted pregnancy only when take in recommended cycles, regularly, and under expert medical supervision. Irregular use may predispose one to an unwanted pregnancy, if intercourse occurs in one's fertile period (time around ovulation).

The fertile period of a woman who is not on pills is determined by analyzing her menstrual cycle with an ovulation calculator or fertility chart. Normally, the menstrual cycle is a 28 day cycle. During the 14th day after a period, the ovum is released. This process is called ovulation and the days 12 to 16 days after a period are said to be a woman’s most fertile period. Pills prevent ovulation and thus averts pregnancy.

Since you have not taken pills according to the recommended schedule, it will be wise to get a home pregnancy test and consult a doctor for advice. You may need to repeat the rest if asked by your doctor.