Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Can I catch herpes by sharing a can soda with infected.

Can I catch herpes by sharing a can soda with infected.

Patient: Can I catch herpes by sharing a can soda with a person who has genital herpes? My bestfriend found out she has genital herpes, she’s had the virus for a few months now, and today i went over, and I TOTALLY forgot about her herpes. She had a very small sore looking bump on her top lip. What are my chances of catching the virus? I’m absolutely terrified right now. 🙁

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query,If your friend has been infected with both HSV 1 & 2 virus with oral sores and genital herpes both , then if you have shared a can soda with her, then there is a possibility that the virus can get transmitted from her oral region onto the can and then to your lips and mouth. It is suggested that you may undertake a serological test after a week to look for IgM immunoglobulins against HSV 1 or 2 to confirm or rule out spread. Or if you develop an oral sore in a week then transmission shall be confirmed again. Please visit your Physician in case sores are seen for early intervention with antivirals.I hope I have answered you query in detail,Wishing you good healthRegards