Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Can I consume alcohol if I’ve been diagnosed with Hepatitis A?

Can I consume alcohol if I’ve been diagnosed with Hepatitis A?

Patient: I’ve been affected by hepatitis A. Can I consume alcohol or beer? If no, for how many days I should not consume?

Doctor: The Hepatitis A virus is transmitted mainly through infected food and water and usually takes a month for the symptoms t o appear. There is no specific treatment for Hepatitis A and the symptoms should go off on its own. During the acute phase of the infection, it is advised that you avoid alcohol, certain drugs like NSAIDS (ibuprofen) and fatty food, which all cause stress of the liver. 80-90% of individuals recover from the infection within 3 months and the rest within 6 months. So it is advisable to refrain from alcohol for a period of 3-6 months.