Can I contract chickenpox after my child gets a chickenpox vaccine?

Q: My son is ready for his chickenpox vaccination but I have never had chickenpox. Should I be worried about getting ill when he gets the vaccine since it is a live virus? I know that its dangerous for adults.

A:   Yes it is a live virus. The possibilities of you acquiring chickenpox after your son will have his vaccine is very rare. The live virus vaccine has been processed to induce antibody formation against chicken pox but it rarely causes disease on the individual, more rarely so on the close contacts of the individual. If you want, you can still have a chickenpox shot, that will be more beneficial than harmful for you. I hope this helps.