Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Can I drink Distilled Water?

Can I drink Distilled Water?

Patient: Is drinking distilled water safe?

Doctor: Distillation is the process in which water is boiled, evaporated and the vapour condensed. Distilled water is free of di ssolved minerals. Desalinated or demineralised water without furtherenrichment with some minerals might not be fully appropriate for consumption.Distilled water is an active absorber and when it comes into contact with air, it absorbs carbon dioxide, making it acidic.  The more distilled water a person drinks, the higher the body acidity becomes. The ideal water for the human body should be slightly alkaline and this requires the presence of minerals like calcium and magnesium.. Studies have consistently shown that heavy consumers of demineralised water spill huge amounts of calcium, magnesium and other trace minerals into the urine. The more mineral loss, the greater the risk for osteoporosis, osteoarthritis, hypothyroidism, coronary artery disease, high blood pressure and a long list of degenerative diseases generally associated with premature aging. I would not recommend drinking distilled water. Thanks for the question, hope the information helps.