Can I get chlymydia if I gave someone (a female) oral sex

Patient: Can I get chlymydia if I gave someone (a female) oral sex that has it. How likely is it I have it in my throat or mouth if I only did it one time?

Doctor: Hi. Thank you for writing to ATD.Chlamydia is a common sexually transmitted disease (STD) caused by infection with C hlamydia trachomatis. It can cause cervicitis in women and urethritis and proctitis in both men and women. Chlamydial infections in women can lead to serious consequences including pelvic inflammatory disease (PID), tubal factor infertility, ectopic pregnancy, and chronic pelvic pain. Lymphogranuloma venereum (LGV), another type of STD caused by different serovars of the same bacterium, occurs commonly in the developing world. One can get chlamydia by having vaginal, anal, or oral sex with someone who has chlamydia. The Chlamydia bacteria is passed from one person to another primarily during vaginal or anal sex. It is much less likely to be transmitted during any kind of oral sex (mouth to genital contact). Chlamydia seems to be a genital/anal infection most commonly and rarely infects the oral cavity. Thus oral sex involving exchange of body fluids may transmit it, on rare chances.If one person in a sexually active pair is infected with Chlamydia, that person should be tested for other STIs as well and their partner(s) should be treated and tested for Chlamydia as well. Treatment for Chlamydia is simple, easy and cheap. Treatment usually involves taking one dose of an antibiotic medication. After treatment, a person should abstain from sexual contact for one week and, to be certain you have not been re-infected a repeat Chlamydia screening test should be done 3 months after treatment for Chlamydia.Please discuss with your Doctor.Hope this helps