Can i get hipitas c thur sex

Q: Can i get hipitas c if i have sex with someone who has it

A:   Hepatitis C is a contagious liver disease that ranges in severity from a mild illness lasting a few weeks to a serious, lifelong illness that attacks the liver. It results from infection with the Hepatitis C virus (HCV), which is spread primarily through contact with the blood of an infected person. Hepatitis C can be either “acute” or “chronic.”

Hepatitis C is usually spread when blood from a person infected with the Hepatitis C virus enters the body of someone who is not infected. Today, most people become infected with the Hepatitis C virus by sharing needles or other equipment to inject drugs. Before 1992, when widespread screening of the blood supply began in the United States, Hepatitis C was also commonly spread through blood transfusions and organ transplants.
People can become infected with the Hepatitis C virus during such activities as

-Sharing needles, syringes, or other equipment to inject drugs
-Needlestick injuries in health care settings
-Being born to a mother who has Hepatitis C

Less commonly, a person can also get Hepatitis C virus infection through

-Sharing personal care items that may have come in contact with another person’s blood, such as razors or toothbrushes
-Having sexual contact with a person infected with the Hepatitis C virus

Please see your doctor and get tested if required.