Can i get shingles IN my nose

Patient: Can you have shingles inside the left side of your nose

Symptoms: Headache, body ache, left side of face swollen and painful, blister like things in left nostril

Doctor: Thank you for your question. Yes, this is possible. Shingles is caused by the reactivation of the varicella zoster virus . This virus lays dormant in the spinal cord after an infection with chicken pox. When it is is reactivated it causes shingles which produces a painful rash along a particular patch of skin called a dermatome. A dermatome is a specific area of skin innervated by a particular set of sensory nerve branches of the spinal cord. Shingles outbreaks can occur along any dermatome located from the face down to the lower extremities. Please promptly see your doctor to be evaluated and started on antiviral medication to treat this possible shingles infection.Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com