Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Can I keep growing at 20s?

Can I keep growing at 20s?

Patient: I am 20 years old. At the ageo of 17 I had a knee injury. I stopped growing. 16. I’ve been 6’0 ever since. I was wondering if there will be a lat spurt in my 20s? Is that possible. I had I broken Tibia Plateau and a torn meniscus.

Doctor: If at the age of 17 when you had the knee injury, your epiphysial plates were already closed, then no repercussion on th e growing process took place. First of all, growth is determined for many factors as: parents height (familial short stature), timing of the puberty because with the sexual hormones the epiphysial fusion occurs early, resulting in premature slowing of growth velocity, usually resulting in a short adult height. The X rays are the only way to know if your epiphysis have closed already, (you stated that you are 20 years old), reducing your potential for an additional growth in stature.