Can I Still Get Pregnant If I Have PCOS?

Patient

Q: I am 23 years old and i recently found out that I have Polycistic ovaries and i was wondering if i would be able to get pregnant naturally with no medicine.

Doctor

A:   Hi there, I understand your worry about future pregnancy with PCOS. Polycystic ovarian syndrome, or PCOS, it is a common cause of infertility in women. Up to 15% of women who are of childbearing age can have PCOS and infertility. However the majority of these women with PCOS easily get pregnant.
There are a few recommendations to increase fertility in this condition. Losing weight through a low carbohydrate diet and exercise program may be all you need to get pregnant, this turns patients resistant to insulin, and that as well as higher glucose levels are a major factor in PCOS and infertility. After that other treatment such as hormonal and ovulation stimulants could be used.
I would suggest you not to panic; having PCOS does not mean that you will not be able to get pregnant, like I said before the majority of women do get pregnant. My recommendation will be to comply with your PCOS treatment and follow ups. I wish you the best.