Can I substitute multiple lower dose pills to replicate a higher one?

Patient

Q: I have ADD and take a 40 mg dose of amphetamine salts, once a day. I'm running low on my prescription, and due to my recent lay off, I can't afford to get it refilled immediately.
I also have a 90 day supply of 10 mg pills, left over from when I had night classes. (They haven't expired. I checked.) Can I combine multiple 10 mg pills to get a 40 mg dose until I can afford a refill and if so, how many should I take? I remember my doctor said that the percentage of active ingredient in each pill changed as dose went up.

Doctor