Can I take Amoxicillin with Tylenol and/or Ibuprofen?

Patient : Can I take amoxicillin with Advil (ibuprofen) or Tylenol (acetaminophen)? I was wondering if I could take these drugs together because I was given amoxicillin by my family doctor for a throat infection that I have. I injured my thumb today at home while using a hammer and wanted to take Advil or Tylenol for the pain. Is this okay? If not okay, are there any other drugs I could take for the pain?
Doctor :   If you are not allergic, your liver function is within the normal limits and you don’t have a specific contraindication n for any of those medications, you can take Amoxicillin with either of Advil or Tylenol. I suggest that you take them with the meals because they tend to produce upset stomach in some patients. Please also don't take more than the recommended dosage based on the strength of Advil or Tylenol you have.

You can find more information on other drugs and their interactions on the following page: 

https://www.askthedoctor.com/topics-a-z/drug-interactions

Doctor: Thank you for writing to us.

We are here to help you. There are 2 issues at hand here. Whenever taking any medications together, you need to know if there are interactions between them. The second issue is to check if you are allergic to either of the medications.

In this, I will talk both about Amoxicillin and Tylenol. Amoxicillin is a penicillin group of antibiotics. It is used to kill gram positive bacteria that usually are culprits in throat infection. Thus, your Doctor has prescribed this correctly.

Tylenol is made of Paracetamol which is a drug used to treat fever and sometimes in pain and headaches.

Now, the issue comes up because you say you have had rash before. Rash from drugs most commonly occurs because of Paracetamol and Penicillin. Hence, I recommend that you take the medication by seeing a Doctor and continue taking counsel for at least 24 hours.

Getting a skin prick test done will also help. This is also true for Ibuprofen as it is also a NSAID like Tylenol.

As far as the interaction between Amoxicillin and Ibuprofen is concerned, there is none. Hope this helps you. All the best.
Guest: I justed took my second dose of my amoxicillin but have bad sinus head ache