Can I take augmentin while using trimethoprim?

Patient: Can I take augmentin while using trimethoprim? I think I have an infection but not sure if I can take augmentin while using trimethoprim? I’m on 400mg daily.

Doctor: HiThank you for the question,Augmentin contains a combination of amoxicillin and clavulanate potassium. Amoxicill in is an antibiotic in a group of drugs called penicillins. Amoxicillin fights bacteria in the body. Augmentin is used to treat many different infections caused by bacteria, such as sinusitis, pneumonia, ear infections, bronchitis, urinary tract infections, and infections of the skin. Here are a few side effects:-Hives or welts-itching-itching of the vagina or genital area-pain during sexual intercourse-redness of the skin-skin rash-thick, white vaginal discharge with no odor or with a mild odor. Do not take medicines without Doctor’s prescriptions. Talk to your Doctor regarding this. Go according to his advice.I hope this will help you. Take care.