Can I take Evening Prime Rose while I am pregnant?

Q: I had undergone a breast lump removal surgery last month under local anaesthesia since a fibroadenoma was found on my left breast.Doctor told that there are chances that it may appear again and he adviced me to take prime rose oil capsule for 6 months.Currently I am taking the tablet primosa 1000 daily.I am 27 year old and married for the last one year.Now i am thinking of having a baby.But i want to know whether this tablet will have any side effects on my pregnancy.Please advice.

A:   Thank you for your question. Evening primrose oil is a common natural supplement taken by women in the belief that it will aid in various aspects of their feminine health such as treating the symptoms of premenstrual syndrome, hot flashes during menopause, assisting in the pain of labor and delivery, etc. However, none of these claims have been substantiated by evidence based peer reviewed research. Therefore, there is lack of evidence on the side effects of this supplement in women who are pregnant, or breastfeeding. As such it is recommend that caution should be taken, and consultation of a physician should be enlisted before taking any supplement while pregnant. In fact, it is important to discontinue any and all natural, herbal, or alternative medicine until you consult your physican and/or OBGYN prior to continuing with them if you are considering getting pregnant.

Thank you for choosing