Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Can I take my omitted I have a bad migrian

Can I take my omitted I have a bad migrian

Patient: Can I take my omitted I have a bad migrian and its expired2012 it’s in its original package and a zip lock

Doctor: HiThank you for the question.The expiration date is the final day that the manufacturer guarantees the full poten cy and safety of a medication. The problem with an expired drug can be:1. A reduced content of the active ingredient: This usually is not an issue, for example in the case of an analgesic or a multivitamin. However, it becomes a problem in the case of drugs like antibiotics (plasma concentration below MIC – leading to resistance) or hormones (thyroxine, OCPs, etc) or drugs like digoxin or antiarrhythmics.2. Formation/generation of toxic metabolites: though this list is small, it is important in case of drugs like tetracyclines that are still widely used in under-developed countries due to their low cost.It is better to not use those drugs. It might lead you to severe problems. I hope this will help you. Take care.