Can I train for a 1/2 marathon with Runner's knee...??

Patient

Q: Can I train for a 1/2 marathon (about 26.2 miles) if I have Runner's Knee?

Doctor

A:   If you do not have any symptoms currently, yes you can train but avoiding put overstress on the knees, it is very important before to do any exercise or straining physical activity to have an initial warm-up and stretching of the muscles, also when you start an exercise routine the demands have to be progressive and gradual, and the time and days that you dedicate to exercise must be consistent and regular to avoid injuries. There is a very well described entity in the medical literature called: Overuse Syndrome, which can affect any part of the body that is over stressed with movements or activities in a repetitive way, including occupational, recreational, and habitual activities. Repetition is part of the definition of overuse injury. The concept is that overuse injury is associated with repeated challenge without sufficient recovery time, and this is true for Body Building, Running, Jogging or any other sport or activity in which you exceed the guidelines and your own limits or capacities.