Can i use Bleaching creams to fade freckles at age 14

Patient

Q: Hello I am 14 years old and have a lot of freckles on my face that i do not particularly like i was just wondering would it be safe/unsafe to try bleaching creams on them ? Thank you !

Symptoms:  None
Doctor

A:   Thank you for contacting ask the doctor.
I can understand your concerns and would do the best to enlighten you about the problem.
Freckles are not caused by excess melanocytes but due to over production of the pigment melanin. These get even worse when there is repeated exposure to the sunlight (UV Light). Therefore it is extremely essential that you avoid direct exposure to sunlight and use sun-protection creams regularly. This in combination with the bleaching cream would work wonderfully in lightening the freckles. Other measure could be Laser therapy, Retinoids, Cryosurgery, Photo-facials or Chemical peels.
Hope this information was useful.
Dr. Pooja Sabui