Can I use vaseline insted of estrogen cream for Labial Adhesion in my child?

Patient: My daughter is 16 months and has a Labial adhesion. I took her 2 the doctor this morning and they perscribed her with estrogen cream to help open it up but when I got 2 the pharmacy it was $100 so i called the doc and they said I can use vaseline and c if that opens it…my question is …is that safe? And for how long should I do this for before buying the cream?

Doctor: Labial adhesions are a common disorder in infants and is usually asymptomatic. They are often managed with periodic obse rvation, and spontaneous resolution has been reported in most of the cases within 1 year.Certain studies have found that application of topical estrogen is effective in about 90% of the cases. Other treatment that can be tried are the use of betamethasone 0.05% cream or a combination therapy. Vaseline only help once the adhesion have resolved and allow complete healing and prevent any recurrence.