x
152 Physicians Online

Question:

Can iron deficiency anemia cause missed periods?

I had sex with my boyfriend at the end of May, I was completely off my period, I had it that month on the 8th through 12th, my periods don't last long but they are very heavy. I am not on birth control, and when we had sex he did not cum no where near the vagina. When it came to June I did not get my period, I had very bad cramps near the 8th but I didn't get it and I had no spotting, my boyfriend told me to wait til July. Now that it's July I still haven't gotten it, I somewhat got cramps around the 8th, but I haven't gotten anything no spotting, nothing. I'm not sure if I should worry, I haven't had signs of pregnancy either, so I really don't know what it could be. Also, I was diagnosed with Iron Deficiency Anemia at the end of June, can that be the cause of my missed periods? Or is it something else?

Answer:

Deficiency of iron could be the cause for your missed periods. From your description you do not seem to be pregnant, however, you may take a home pregnancy test for confirmation. Iron supplements along with a diet rich in iron including green vegetables and fruits like spinach, broccoli, raisins, dates, figs, banana, liver and kidney meat etc. may help improve your iron levels.

Have a Question? Ask The Doctor Here.

Sign In to join in the conversation.