x
Browse
161 Physicians Online

Question:

Can iron deficiency anemia cause missed periods?

I had sex with my boyfriend at the end of May, I was completely off my period, I had it that month on the 8th through 12th, my periods don't last long but they are very heavy. I am not on birth control, and when we had sex he did not cum no where near the vagina. When it came to June I did not get my period, I had very bad cramps near the 8th but I didn't get it and I had no spotting, my boyfriend told me to wait til July. Now that it's July I still haven't gotten it, I somewhat got cramps around the 8th, but I haven't gotten anything no spotting, nothing. I'm not sure if I should worry, I haven't had signs of pregnancy either, so I really don't know what it could be. Also, I was diagnosed with Iron Deficiency Anemia at the end of June, can that be the cause of my missed periods? Or is it something else?

Answer:

Deficiency of iron could be the cause for your missed periods. From your description you do not seem to be pregnant, however, you may take a home pregnancy test for confirmation. Iron supplements along with a diet rich in iron including green vegetables and fruits like spinach, broccoli, raisins, dates, figs, banana, liver and kidney meat etc. may help improve your iron levels.

Sign In to join in the conversation.

You’re in good hands, meet ATD’s founding physicians.

• Board Certified GP
  • CMO ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Adjunct Professor at U Of T

• Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
  • Director ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Fellowship Training Atlanta, GA