Can low amniotic fluid cause head trauma in breech baby

Patient

Q: I had awful prenatal care and was never given an ultrasound past 14 weeks, at 37 weeks they finally did one and saw my fluid was below a 5 and my son was breech (the left side of his head was up against my ribs) so I had emergency c section 3 weeks before his due date. He is now 3 months old and we discovered healed linear skull fracture on left side with old bleeding. Is it possible these injuries occurred in the womb due to no fluid to cushion him and his large head (13.5 in at birth, 16.5 current) developing under my ribs!? I slept on my stomach unintentionally often and who knows just how long I had hardly any fluid due to no ultrasounds being done. Please help me, no doctors seem to know if its possible and I need to know. Thank you!

Doctor

A:   Hi,
Amniotic fluid helps in protecting the baby from outside pressures.
Severe oligohydromnios can lead to musculoskeletal abnormalities like facial distortion, limb deformities etc.
But intrauterine fetal skull fracture is a rare finding in the absence of external hurt.
Better to rule out conditions like osterogensis imperfect.
If baby is neurologically normal, there may not be any major problem in future.
Take care.