Can medicinal Marijuana benefit ones with severe depression?

Q: I've been battling with severe depression for nearing 5 years now. I have been off and on multiple anti-depressants, attempted to take my life 4 times and again I'm nearing the end of my ropes. I've been doing research and talking with people about medicinal Marijuana and it's positive effects (excluding the negative side effects that too me, seem about the same as the list of negative side effects on the anti depressants) and had a serious question which follows:

I just want my quality of life back, and it seems no pills or amount of therapy I get seems to benefit or improve my feelings of not belonging anywhere on this planet. The medication I've been on so far is trazodone, celexa, Prozac, lamotroigine and 1 other that I forget the name for. My doctor is suggesting I go on lithium next. I've been someone always against Drugs but people are starting to really suggest I start smoking marijuana. I don't want to self medicate and would much like to get a doctors advice on this, Please help.