Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Can menopause symptoms mimic period symptoms?

Can menopause symptoms mimic period symptoms?

Patient: I am having abdominal cramps and lower back pain as if I were having my period. But I am 51 years old and haven’t had a period in over 2 years. Is it normal to still have period symptoms during menopause? This is not the first time but it is the worst and the longest at almost a week.

Symptoms: Abdominal cramps and lwe back pain

Doctor: Hello ma’am,Thanks for trusting us about your health care.I can understand your concern here.Period like pain af ter menopause can be a normal finding and occur due to hormonal alterations.But sometimes it can be a symptom of endometriosis, ovarian cyst and cancer.Thus if you are having a persistent symptoms, you should consult a gynaecologist and get yourself examined and investigate to rule out the above-mentioned causes.Hope it is useful, feel free to ask more.Regards