Can Metformin cause swelling in my ankles and hands? Has

Q: Can Metformin cause swelling in my ankles and hands? Has been getting worse since taking this new medicine.

A:   Hello
Welcome to Ask The Doctor. We are here to help you.

Swelling of ankle or hands is not a prominent effect of Metformin. However, reaction to any drug can cause this. You might have got reaction to the drug.
Just check in case you are taking any other medicine like Amlodipine for high BP as that is the most common culprit causing this problem.
In such scenario, I would advise you to get a Urine examination done and thyroid profile done.
If they are normal, your doctor will consider to stop Metformin and substitute with another anti-diabetic drug.
Share my opinion with your doctor before acting upon it.

I hope it helps.
Stay Healthy.