Can morphine build up in the body over a course of years and cause an overdose without having taken it that day?

Q: My girlfriend is on a pain plan/program due to a back injury that includes morphine and dilauded to manage it. A few nights ago she was very dehydrated and hadn't eaten all day, fell and hit her head. We had been on a road trip and she was never out of my sight, and hadn't taken any of her pain meds, but when I took her to the ER presenting with confusion and unable to speak her own name, doctors were adamant that she must have overdosed as there was a lot of opiates still in her system. Is it possible that the meds built up in her system over the years she has been on this pain plan and gave a false positive for OD, or even caused one with the dehydration/fasting?

Symptoms:  Confusion, amnesia