Ask The Doctor » Questions & Answers » Can movement such as bending, twisting, or lifting trigger i

Can movement such as bending, twisting, or lifting trigger i

Patient: Can movement such as bending, twisting, or lifting trigger inflammation for herniated discs? Do herniated discs actually heal themselves?

Doctor: HelloThank you for posting your query on ATD.I have gone through your query and understand your concern.Bendi ng, twisting and lifting causes disc become more herniated ( trigger coming out from the place) and become more symptomatic (painful). Rest promotes healing and help in restoring back to place disc and help in symptomatic relief. So mildly herniated disc may heal themselves.Hope your query get answered.Wishing you a good health.Take care.

Patient: The orthopedic doctor gave me a cervical collar for pain located in between my shoulder blades in the back. He says this is due to a herniated disc in the neck. Will the collar reduce the pain in between the shoulder blades?

Doctor: Yes it will help reducing pain as it gives rest to neck.

Patient: Went to second orthopedic doctor today. They said radiologist reports and images did not show any herniated discs. The doctor said the muscles are probably strained and can’t relax to heal. So with that said should I talk to the doctor about TLSO brace since my pain is coming from bending,twisting, and lifting?

Patient: The pain is coming from in between shoulder blades in the center of the back and around t12-l1

Doctor: Strained muscles will be benefitted by rest and analgesic such as ibuprofen and muscle relaxants. Brace can be of use as it provides rest to strained muscles.