Can My Body Become Used To Insulin?

Patient

Q: I am a type 1 Diabetic. I am currently on a pump. I use novolog. However, I am curious if it is possible for my body to get so use to the novolog that it no longer recognizes it. It seems every few months I have to sitch back and forth between humalog and novolog.

Doctor

A:   Novalog and humalog are both rapid-acting insulin analogues, with an onset of action in 10-20 minutes and 15-30 minutes respectively. I can find no evidence to suggest the body may become sensitised to the effects of either of these two preparations. The switch between the two preparations may be to determine, which one is best tailored to your individual requirements. I suggest that you speak to your endocrinologist regarding your current and previous insulin regimens.