Can myoclonic jerks be related to anything other than epilep

Q: Can myoclonic jerks be related to anything other than epilepsy?

Symptoms:  I've been experiencing myoclonic jerks/seizures for about 2 years now. At first I didn't even notice them, but they're getting increasingly frequent and intense. I'm 20. It's like an electric jolt pulsing in my body. I lose control of everything I'm holding in that instance, and because of that my thought process is completely interrupted and I get disoriented. It's become a complete inconvenience and a danger to those around me. I have many examples but the most recent one is, the other day I was drinking a glass of water and toying with my brand new laptop and as I picked it up the glass of water to take a sip, I had a jerk and the glass toppled over and spilled water absolutely everywhere, getting dangerously close to my day old laptop :(.
I have heard it most in relation to epilepsy but there is no history of it in my family, it sounds like I could have JME but I've never had a tonic clonic seizure so I can't really determine anything. I mainly experience these jerks when I'm sleep deprived, sometimes early in the morning or the day after drinking alcohol. They are pretty intense. I'm going to a doctor this week but I'd like to research some other options so as to give me some peace of mind.