Can other knee also have torn cartilage?

Q: I hurt my leg and found out that I have torn cartilage in my left knee and have to have surgery to repair it,this happened back in November. Because of this I have to use my right leg more ( walking up stairs,etc.) and am putting most of my weight on my right leg because its hard and painful to walk using my left leg. Now for about 3-4 weeks I have been feeling a stabbing pain on and off in my right knee just like the pain I feel in my left knee. I was told that I could have possibly torn the cartilage in my right knee also because I am "over using" my right leg now. Can this be true? Could I have actually damaged my other leg by over using it?

Symptoms:  stabbing pain in knee when walking up stairs, getting out car, etc