Can Overweight Cause Bowed Legs?

Patient

Q: Im 18 and i haave like some what i guess inward legs i was just wondering if this can be caused by being over weight i weigh 270 lbs and if i loss weight will it correct it self?

Doctor

A:   No, inward legs are not caused by being overweight, however you may benefit if you lose some weight and by doing so , you won’t be putting additional stress on your weight-bearing joints (ankles, knees, hips).
Inward legs are due to changes in the orientation of the tibia (shinbone), the femur or both. These changes in orientation are called “internal torsion” in case of the tibia and “ante version” in the case of the femur. However, the tibia torsion or inward twisting of the tibia (shinbone) is the most common cause of in toeing. It is usually seen at age 2 years. Males and females are affected equally, and about two thirds of patients are affected bilaterally. Some mild torsion tends to correct with the time and with the growing process, but if they do not correct and the deformity becomes a cosmetic or functional problem, the surgical treatment may be considered.