Can PAD be caused by weight bearing on one leg

Patient : I see peripheral arterial disease has a number of possible causes...when it occurs in only one leg is it possible to be caused directly or indirectly from an injury to the other leg...which caused extra weight bearing on the leg that now has PAD?
Doctor :   Thank you for question. There are several documented causes of peripheral arterial disease. We were discuss these in br ief. Some of the main risk factors of peripheral arterial disease include smoking, diabetes, obesity, hypertension, hyperlipidemia, and family history. Commonly, atherosclerotic plaques obstruct these small arteries of the extremities, resulting in ischemia. It is possible that extra weight, as in obesity can result in unilateral PAD. However, it is not quite clear to us how injury to one leg could result in PAD in the other leg. Complications of PAD can be ischemic limb disease, wherein decreased oxygenation to the limb can result in permanent damage and eventual tissue necrosis (death). Thank you for choosing askthedoctor.com