Can sex transfer the shingles disease

Q: My boyfriend has shingles, beofer we found out what he had we had sex and had been kissing. i have had chickenpox before, can i catch his shingles infection??

A:   Shingles is caused by the varicella-zoster virus which is the same virus that causes chickenpox. Anyone who's had chickenpox may develop shingles. After you recover from chickenpox, the virus can enter your nervous system and lie hidden for years. Eventually, it may reactivate and travel along nerve pathways to your skin producing shingles.
Since you had Chicken pox, the risk of developing shingles was already in you and not because you has contact with your boyfriend. If you have a decrease in your immunes system you could reactivate your varicella zoster virus and develop shingles.