Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Can sleep deprivation cause constricted pupils?

Can sleep deprivation cause constricted pupils?

Patient: My fiance works the night shift and it is a 12 hour shift. He has worked this for about 3 years. He is extremely tired (obviously). I noticed that his eyes are constricted sometimes and they dont respond to light. He claims its from being sleep deprived. So my question is, does sleep deprivation cause pupil constriction?

Symptoms: Pupil constriction, sleep deprivation

Doctor: Thank you for your question. Sleep deprivation may not directly cause constricted pupils, but excessive exposure to ligh t for extend periods of time such as during shift work, can indeed cause the pupils to constrict which will take them some time to return to normal.We hope this helps. Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com