August 20, 2018

Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Can some one plz help explain my ultrasound?

Can some one plz help explain my ultrasound?

Patient: Can some one plz help explain my ultrasound? A tiny gestational sac with no well- formed yolk sac. A small soft tissue structure is present with absent cardiac activity. The CRL corresponds to about 6 weeks 2 days. The appearance is in keeping with failure to progress and embryonic demise is there any hope?

Doctor: Hi,Thanks for the query.I understand your concern.Usually by six completed weeks fetal pole with cardiac activi ty can be seen.As even after completion of six weeks there is no well-formed gestational sac and as there is no cardiac activity, the possibility of a viable pregnancy is less.In case of previous irregular periods and wrong dates, you can wait for one to two weeks and repeat the ultrasound.If repeat ultrasound also fails to visualize the fetal cardiac activity, the possibility of a viable pregnancy is less.Hope this helps.Take care.