Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Can someone with a tree nut allergy use witch hazel

Can someone with a tree nut allergy use witch hazel

Patient: If I have a tree nut allergy can I use witch hazel?

Doctor: Thank you for your question. Witch Hazel is commonly used as a topical astringent for treating minor cuts, rashes, bruis es and as a disinfectant. It is distilled from the leaves and bark of the Hamamelis virginiana tree. If you have a tree nut allergy, it is possible that this product can elicit an allergic response. The reason we say this is that Witch Hazel is a natural medicine which is not strictly regulated for its production and purity by the Food and Drug Administration. As a result, in its preparation there may be contact with substances that you are allergic to. We do not recommend that you use this product unless it is medically approved by your doctor and you are advised that the particular brand you choose to use is safe.Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com