Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Can Stress and Anxiety in Puberty Affect Growth?

Can Stress and Anxiety in Puberty Affect Growth?

Patient: I didn’t get the right nutrition when going through puberty because I had a lot of anxiety. I can tell it had a physical and mental effect on my body. Can your body still grow after this state or is your body stuck physically.

Doctor: Puberty is the period when a person grows in height really fast. You can still grow but it will not be as fast since you r growth spurt has probably been way too long ago. For males, the growth plate of the bones completely closes at ~23 years old (males usually don’t grow further after this age). For females, its ~21 years old. I hope this helps.