Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Can taking 6mp affect my ability to have children

Can taking 6mp affect my ability to have children

Patient: Hi im taking 6mp for crhons, and my wife is pregnant (she got before i start taking) so i wanna know if it could defect anything now when my wife is already preg. and one more thing could this medication affect me having children later while taking 6mp.

Symptoms: OK while taking this 6mp

Doctor: Thank you for your query.After going through your query, would like to say if you have started using the medication af ter your wife has already been pregnant, then there should be no effect on the child. But 6mp is known to have effect on male fertility parameters. Studies support that they cause decrease in testosterone levels. Simultaneously the sperm count & motility are also known to be affected. These in turn can have an effect on the fertilization potential of the spermatozoa.Hope that answers your query. Have a good day.