Can taking a probiotic and multi-vitamin cause fever?

Patient

Q: I take a probiotic daily but I noticed that when I start taking a multi-vitamin , after about a week I start to get a low grade fever of about 100.6. Could the vitamins cause my body to fight against the probiotic?

Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. Supplements just like prescription medication can have adverse interactions when taken together. It is possible that your probiotics medication when taken with multi-vitamins result in causing you a fever. We are not certain of what types of probiotics or vitamins you are taking, but we do not recommend that you take both of these together. If your fever, please see your doctor for further evaluation.

Thank you for choosing AskTheDoctor.com with your health question.