Can taking microgynon cause excess sweating?

Patient

Q: Can taking microgynon 30 cause excess sweating. i have been taking it for about 6 years now and have noticed an big increase. i changed to ovranette and noticed i didnt sweat as much, i am now back on microgynon 30 and have noticed the sweating has got worse. could microgynon 30 be the cause

Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. Microgynon 30 is an oral contraceptive containing ethinylestradiol and levonorgestrel. This medication can cause precipitate transient hormonal fluctuations within the body which can result in excessive sweating. We recommend that you report this side effect to your doctor and have an examination performed to determine if you need to have this contraceptive medication changed to one that will be more tolerable and reduce your excessive sweating. Since you were on another oral contraceptive that did not cause you to sweat as much, it may be wise to change your medication to avoid this side effect.

Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com with your medical question.