Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Can taking the Plan B pill more than once in a month delay your period?

Can taking the Plan B pill more than once in a month delay your period?

Patient: I have taken the Plan B pill three times in the last month. My period is now about 3 weeks late but I have taken 3 hpt and all have been negative. I am also having cramping in my lower left abdominal for the past few days but still no period. Can taking the plan b pill make your period this late?

Doctor: Emergency contraceptive pills have no long-term or serious side effects. There are no safety concerns about using proges tin only emergency contraceptive pills (like Plan B) more than once. However, the pills should not be used more than once in the same cycle, because there have been no studies of repeated use. The pills might also cause your next period to come early or late. If you find yourself using emergency contraceptive pills a lot, talk to your health care provider for an alternative.