Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Can urinary tract infections cause low blood protein levels?

Can urinary tract infections cause low blood protein levels?

Patient: Can urinary tract infections cause low blood protein levels? I have been told my protein levels are low but may have had urinary tract infection at the time

Doctor: Hello,Thank you for your query at AskTheDoctor.comI understand your concern.In long standing UTIs or kidney infe ctions, protein can be excreted in the urine, in the form of micro albumin.If a significant amount of protein is lost, it does reduce the blood protein levels, thereby altering the albumin/globulin ratio.However, the common causes of low protein in the blood are liver diseases such as hepatitis, kidney infections, malnutrition, malabsorption syndromes, Type 2 DM, etcSo, a detailed evaluation is required to find out the exact cause.Hope this was helpful,Regards