Can you can you take melatonin while taking narcotics

Patient : Can you can you take melatonin while taking narcotics
Doctor :   Hello, Thank you for your query at AskTheDoctor.com I understand your concern. Before I can talk about the possible interaction, can you tell me what are the indications of taking both together? That will help me analyse the situation better. Please reply and I will get back to you.

Patient: Can't sleep and I am taking prescribed narcotics for pain
Doctor: Melatonin and narcotics can induce a lot of sleepiness like day time sleepiness, and overdose can cause headache, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, e.t.c
Otherwise since there is a genuine indication, it should not be a problem.

Do not take it for long time, can cause dependence.

Feel free to discuss further.