Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Can you drink coffee before you go in for jaw surgery?

Can you drink coffee before you go in for jaw surgery?

Patient: I will have a surgery for the first time on my lifemy surgery is jaw surgeryand am a coffee drinkeri drink 4 cups of coffee each daymy question isshould i stop drink coffee before my surgery ?

Doctor: Normal, coffee drinking as such has got no correlation with your surgery. However being cardiac stimulant excessive co nsumption may interfere with General anesthesia administrationIf your jaw surgery is planned under general anesthesia most likely you have to be empty stomach 12 hrs before the surgery. Your Anesthetist will give you the appropriate instructions.Moreover, excessive intake of coffee/tea is otherwise also not advisable for long term good health.