Can you get pregnant if ejaculated on but not inside the vagina?

Patient

Q: Can you get pregnant if ejaculated on but not inside the vagina? Also, I'm on the pill anyway but on the sugar pill week so just wondering what the chances are if any? Thank you!

Doctor

A:   There are chances of getting pregnant even if it was ejaculated in vicinity of vagina rather than inside vagina, as sperms can swim up the vaginal area. But since you are using contraceptive pills, chances of pregnancy is very rare or almost negligible. To make sure, it is advisable to have pregnancy test. Consult a gynecologist for further advise.